In which I share with you one of my all-time favorite books EVER.

I was having a bit of a flashback moment, and decided last week to re-read some books that I haven’t in a while. Well, when I was finished this one, I thought of my dear blogging friends immediately. (: (I’ll warn you though, I’m not good at this whole reviewing thing, so bear with me on this one!)

bamarreThe Two Princesses of Bamarre, by award-winning fantasy novelist Gail Carson Levine, is without a doubt one of the most fantastic books I have ever read, and I shall tell you why.

It follows the story of sisters Addie and Meryl (the girls for whom the book was named). Meryl, fair-haired and carefree, is brave and courageous, dreaming of slaying the monsters that plague their kingdom. Whereas Addie, quiet and intellectual, is timid, and would rather stay inside and do embroidery than face even a spider. She fears that if Meryl leaves the castle to fight monsters, Meryl will be slain herself. But it is not the gryphons, specters, or dragons that Bamarrians fear the most. The worst monster is the Gray Death, an incurable sickness of unknown origin that claims the lives of all of its victims. An age-old prophecy telling of when the cure will be discovered has been the only hope for the people of Bamarre for years. Meryl fantasizes of one day seeking it out, while Addie fears that either one of them might get it, and be unable to do anything about it.

The tables are turned, however, when Meryl falls ill. When it is revealed that she has contracted the Gray Death, Addie must summon the courage to go out and find the cure. Aided by a few tools (a magical cloak, a tablecloth that provides food for the bearer, boots that allow you to travel great distances with a single step, and Meryl’s sword), an apprentice sorcerer named Rhys, and a mysterious, invisible helper, Addie must brave ogres, gryphons, specters, and even a dragon to save the sister whom she loves.

The author conveys well the emotion of each sequence. The heartfelt, sisterly exchanges between Addie and Meryl, the fear of the unknown as Addie travels to and fro in her quest for the cure, the warmth of a secret love between Addie and Rhys, and even the comical image of a fearsome dragon sitting like a little dog are all portrayed wonderfully through the simple art of words. I believe the elements I most enjoyed were the unpredictable ending (I was waiting for a disappointing cliche, but it thankfully did not come), and the bond between Meryl and Addie. I enjoy being able to relate to it. It made me wonder if I would do the same for one of my sisters.

Well, that’s it on a literary note. I got sick-ish over the weekend, so I was unable to put the finishing touches on the things I’ve been trying to upload for a while. Paired with my procrastination, editing has been a nightmare lately, haha. But as soon as that’s done, it’ll be up here! (:

DBF out!

1 comments:



Caroline said...

I had started reading this book last summer, but I got bored with it or something, and put it down. I think I wasn't really into the first person perspective at that time. But I think I'll try it again; I didn't know there were gryphons and a dragon! Also, I read another of Lavine's books, Fairest, and liked it. And my sister read Ella Enchanted and LOVED it. Yes, I shall try it again. Thank you :)

Post a Comment